*NOTE* I had someone decide to spend their time going online and find every fact to prove me wrong. As far as statistics go, all the information here is from my OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCES AND STUDIES. I don't need someone to tell me everything I have said is wrong.
Also, my spelling... this is a rant, I was ANGRY, I don't care if anything is spelled wrong as this is NOT a professional paper.
Pease read my repost to this if you have time. It is more thought out, CORRECT SPELLING, and aknowledges both sides of the Furry world, both lovers and haters, to help everyone understand the truth to it all.
To be simply honest, I HATE when someone hears me say I'm a Furry or sees me drawing them at work and automaticly their face distorts like they just witness the most retarded thing on earth.
The sad part is, is that about 98% of the time people judge Furries in a bad way it's because they don't know more than what the media has proclaimed "Furry".
Today, most people know Furries as "Those who dress up like animals in some form only to follow that with animal related sexual activities". Unfortunately, one such woman dressed as a character and had sex with children. This is how many people are exposed to Furries and it is very demeaning and hurtful. While some people do this, it is not the definition of a Furry in the slightest.
If you are the least bit ignorant, you will read this.
First I'd like to clear up some common misconceptions about Furries. While some people who are Furries do the following things, they do NOT have anything to do with the general Furry culture and who we are as a society.
1. We are NOT (generally) sexual deviants.
2. We DO NOT dress up like animals to lure children to have sex with us.
3. We ARE NOT into bestiality. We DON'T have sex with animals.
There are, as I see it, FIVE main types of Furries.
1. The Character: A "Furry" character is simply an animal like character with human qualities. There is a wide range of these characters. Some have human bodies with very few animal qualities such as the ears, tail, eyes, teeth, hands and feet. Other full Furries are in a human-like state (human body shape and on two feet), while having all animal qualities. These characters are the first form of Furries and are NOT in any way sexual initially. The artists chose to do this, and while it is a common trait of Furs, it is not a requirement.
2. The Drawing: The drawing of Furries themselves is considered Furry, specifically, Furry art. Not much to say here really.
3. The Costume: Men and women who dress in a Furry costume, commonly called a fursuit, are considered Furries. Some wear full body suits, while others, like me (on a day to day basis), wear a hat with ears on it, ears alone, a tail, paw gloves, sharp fake teeth, animal-like contacts... etc. 90% of these Furries' costumes are of their own character, usually their "fursona" (animal form of themselves). Not everyone who dresses in this way is sexual with their costume. Many do it for fun to express themselves. A lot of the time it is for a sort of convention, fundraiser, or event.
4. The Inner Animal: Some people follow Furry culture based off the belief they are an animal in a human body. This one is hard for me to explain because this is not why I am who I am. I see it as similar to people who FEEL they are a girl or boy trapped in the opposite sex's body. It's NOT a sickness, and I HATE when people say it is. It's just a feeling that something isn't right. The same goes for Furries of this nature. Something just feels out of place.
5. The Sex: Then comes what the media has put out there. These are those who dress in costume and have sex. Doing this however does NOT make you a Furry, just like being a Furry does NOT mean you use it for sexual means.
There are two sides to this sexual Furriness...
Side A - The BAD Side: This is the side of so called "Furries" who dress up and lure young children in and have sex with them. THIS is the side the media blew up in everyone's faces and made all Furries look like sexual deviants. This is the extremely RARE side of Furdom.
Side B - The GOOD Side: This is the more fetish / love side. Many Furries like to become couples, and while seen as odd in some people's eyes, like to express their love to one another in their Fur form. This can just be an act of love, or a fetish. But if you see it as weird, think of all the other odd fetishes out there. From simple foot licking, to Vampirism, to getting peed on, having a Fur fetish is pretty normal if you ask me.
OF COURSE, just because you fit in one of these categories, does NOT mean you are a furry. It's like saying "All German Shepards are dogs, but not all dogs are German Shepards".
YOU YOURSELF makes you a Furry. The fact that you say and believe you are (while following one or more of the ablove categories).
SO, if you read through this and your views haven't changed, talk to me. Ask me questions. I am 100% Furry and can honestly say I have never drawn anything showing any genitalia, or had sex dressed as an animal. There are many Furries out there who follow this lead.
If you have a problem with Furries TALK to me. I can take it. I have been dealing with it for the last 2 years. Learn everything you can before you judge others. Assumptions can kill.